If you are involved in an accident with a third party you should :
- Name & Address
- Phone Number
- Insurance Company & Policy Number (Insurance Disc on windscreen)
- Confirm with the other driver they are the registered owner of the vehicle, if not ask for the owner’s contact details
- Take a note of the registration number
- Time and date of the accident
- Make a note of the road conditions
- Use your mobile phone camera to take pictures of the damage to your and the third parties vehicle. If you do not have a camera write a description of the damage and draw a sketch of the accident as this will help in any insurance claim lodged
- If anyone leaves the scene of the accident without exchanging information phone the Gardai immediately
Making a Claim
Report the accident to your insurance broker as soon as possible even if you are not going to claim against your insurance. You may be asked to fill out an accident report form or the claims department may accept your details over the phone. Ask the person looking after your claim for their name and telephone number and your claim reference number. Request a list of all relevant documentation and information that your insurers
will require to process the claim for you.
Before you take your car to the garage to be repaired check with your broker to make sure the garage has been approved by your insurance company. If you take your car to the garage and have work carried out and the garage is not an approved garage this may hold up your claim being processed. In some instances your insurers may ask an insurance assessor to take a look at your vehicle. Keep all quotes and repair receipts you receive throughout the claim in a safe place as you may be asked to produce these by your insurers.
Your insurers will deal with your claim quickly and efficiently as long as they have all the relevant information.